We've been asked before why “we”, a health and environment company develops smoking cabins. Here is our short explanation why.
“It helps save lives and protects the environment.”
For a deeper logic behind this explanation, let's look at the latest statistics:
- Passive smoking is defined as the involuntary inhaling of smoke from other people's cigarettes, cigars, or pipes. Similar to passive smoking is passive vaping, where e-cigarettes release negligible amounts of nicotine into the atmosphere.
- A new, in-depth study has revealed almost 800,000 people die prematurely every year throughout Europe due to air quality.
- About one in one hundred deaths worldwide are caused by passive smoking. (Over 600,000 per year)
- It is reported that due to passive smoking, 165,000 deaths a year are children!
- Many people think that smoking in the open air outdoors is acceptable and will not harm others. One of the last accepted forms of pollution is throwing cigarette butts onto the ground. California, alone spends $41 million yearly, to clean up tobacco butts. Every nation unfortunately has this expense and burden.
In the past, there has been a misconception of the role of the smoking cabin and who it accomodates; the smoker or the non smoker? We now know through analyzing these health, economic, and environmental statistics the world faces due to smoking, an interim solution had to be developed in order to help contain the problem.
What smoking cabins offer to people and businesses:
- Governments can pro-actively wean people off of cigarettes by controlling where they can smoke and/or vape.
- Local and national governments will be able to save a significant amount of money from the waste management of collecting and cleaning up of cigarette butts.
- Businesses will have more control of their environment and where they want smokers to be.
- Non-smokers can be in the same immediate areas as smokers without being affected by second hand smoke. This can mean not separating children from parents, or friends/colleagues when someone is smoking.
- Smoking cabins not only capture the smoke and release only clean air back into the environment, but they also take care of the cigarette butts, so they wont end up tossed onto the ground, where they can cause detriment to the ground water, animals and the environment as a whole.
- Businesses that take care of smoking issues are seen as more proactive and caring to the public.
In 2018, QleanAir Scandinavia’s smoking cabins collected and environmentally disposed of 276,133,500 cigarette butts worldwide, as an interim solution to the reported 4.5 trillion cigarette butts littered worldwide. This proactive approach towards cigarette waste management continues to help private businesses from loss of revenue and interruptions in their operations.
With a partial, outdoor smoking ban being implemented in Sweden, starting this July (2019), the country has a goal of becoming “smoke free” by 2025, but until the day where education and culture has persuaded people in all nations to not want to start smoking to begin with, or until smoking is completely banned, smoking cabins are the absolute best solution we have in society today. The ban prohibits outdoor smoking in many public places including playgrounds, outdoor restaurants and train station platforms, but how it will be enforced is still up for discussion.
We urge all businesses that cater to smokers (offices, amusement parks, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, airports, shopping malls, etc.) to implement smoking cabins and protect non-smoking employees, and guests from something that is proven to shorten lives. Say no to open-air smoking and say yes to being part of the change!
Please share this information and help spread the awareness of passive smoking and the solutions to help safeguard people from it. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact us here.